Are you considering freelancing as a full-time job? Are you tired of working in an office under one boss every day from morning till evening and sometimes even night shifts? Then it is time you carefully examined if you are ready to take freelancing as a career.
Freelancing provides a very great opportunity for one to earn an extra income. However, it needs a lot of dedication are hard work for one to become successful.
You need to carefully consider and weigh the advantages and disadvantages to gauge if it is something that you can do. You have to carefully consider your capabilities and find out if they are something you can easily find online jobs with.
It is true many people have taken freelancing as a career and they have become extremely successful in life. However, some have tried it and ended up failing miserably.
Reasons why people turn to freelance
- The urge of being your own boss
In freelancing, you are your own boss and you dictate everything.
You are the one who negotiates the business deals with the clients instead of letting a company negotiate the deals and then pays you for doing the work. You stipulate the amount you want to get paid and also when you can have the work done.
As a freelancer, you control the projects to work on, how much you want to be paid, and also when to work or when not to work. This is something that very many people desire in life though it comes with a lot of responsibilities and maturity.
You will have to carefully manage your time to ensure that you have earned enough money by the end of the month to take care of the monthly bills.
- Lack of job
Though a majority of freelancers practice freelancing as a passion, some find themselves doing online jobs after going for a long time without being employed yet they completed their undergraduate, masters, or Ph.D. degrees.
Advantages of freelancing
- You have a flexible schedule, which enables you to easily handle family matters effectively.
- As a freelancer, you can even for clients across the border who may have better rates. The online working platforms provide freelancers with the opportunity of meeting clients from different parts of the world.
- Freelancing provides an opportunity of earning a decent income without pressure from any boss.
- You can work from anywhere. You can work from home, office, restaurant, plane, car, etc.
Disadvantages of freelancing
- When starting it can be quite difficult to get a consistent workflow from clients and it can prove hard to meet your bills.
- It requires a lot of dedication. If you want to earn more, you work more.
- Online working platforms have very strict terms and conditions and if not careful, you could get your account blocked or deactivated leaving you paralyzed since the platforms are the main links to clients.